What is it?
The recommended flu vaccine isn't an injection, it's a nasal spray.
How vaccination is given
Has the vaccine been used before?
Nasal spray has been used in the USA since 2003, and over 121 million doses of nasal spray have been distributed worldwide since 2003.3
After the flu vaccination
Sometimes children who have been vaccinated against the flu with this nasal spray will have one or more of these side effects:2
(may affect more than 1 in 10 people)
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Reduced appetite
(may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
- Muscle aches
(may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
- Nose bleed
- Allergic reaction
For more detailed information on side effects, please see the patient information leaflet https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/29109
Is it for everyone?
If your child is under 2 or over 18 years they won't be offered this nasal spray.
Remember that children who can’t receive this nasal spray may still be able to have a flu vaccine.
For more information on this nasal spray and to download the Patient Information Leaflet please go to:
Who shouldn't be given this nasal spray vaccination?
Talk to your doctor before vaccination if your child:2
- Is allergic to eggs, egg proteins, gentamicin, gelatin or any of the other ingredients of the spray
- Has a very weak immune system for any reason
- Has severe asthma or wheezing
- Is taking aspirin or any medicine that has aspirin in it
Advice for faith communities
This nasal spray flu vaccine contains a highly processed form of gelatin (porcine, derived from pigs), which is used globally in many essential medicines. The full list of vaccine ingredients is found in the Patient Information Leaflet. Please go to: www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/29109
Some faith groups accept the use of porcine gelatin in medical products – the decision is, of course, up to you. For further information about porcine gelatin and this nasal flu vaccine, see:
- Influenza: the Green Book, Chapter 19. In: Public Health England. Immunisation Against Infectious Disease. 2015. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/456568/2904394_Green_Book_Chapter_19_v10_0.pdf (Last accessed: August 2017)
- Fluenz Tetra nasal spray suspension Influenza vaccine (live attenuated, nasal)▼ Patient Information Leaflet. August 2017. Available at https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/29109 (Last accessed August 2017)
- AstraZeneca Data on File FLU-014-JUN2017